2020: Some Thoughts From a Year of Reading Like No Other

 
What a year it's been, and it's not even over yet. I honestly can't believe we've made it to November, especially when all the days have blurred together since March. Funnily enough, I've realized that my activity on this blog largely reflects my quarantine state: a huge push in the beginning when I was all motivated to "make the most" of this time, and then little sporadic pushes before I lose any motivation again. I'm trying to be more forgiving of myself. 

However, though I haven't been blogging or really doing anything "productive" that much, I've been reading like crazy. It's weird for me, tearing through books at a pace I haven't had since middle school, and not even trying to read the most "intellectual" or "important" books, but just books that pique my interest. Books have saved me time & time again, and they've really made this whole year bearable.
 
I have a whole list of books that I've read but haven't blogged about, and I wasn't sure how to deal with them. I decided that overall, they might reveal some cool patterns/habits of mine over the past few months; reading habits that I hope to take with me even after this period of the world is over. 

Buzz Books & Bestsellers: 

I used to be so weird about following book trends. I thought I was too cool for them, or something, because I very rarely indulged in books that were getting a lot of buzz in the moment. This year, though, I've really found a lot of comfort in them- they're intelligent, relevant, and often, so easy to sink myself in to. I'm not gonna lie, none of them have 100% blown me away yet, but I'll definitely be keeping up with the newest bestsellers in the future. 

Writers & Lovers by Lily King
The Vanishing Half by Brit Bennett
Normal People and Conversations with Friends by Sally Rooney
My Year of Rest and Relaxation by Ottessa Moshfegh
A Burning by Megha Majumdar

Odd Classics

I really don't pressure myself to read classics anymore, mostly because I know I'll have my college degree for that. I think I still associate classics with being an "intellectual" reader, and I still can feel uncultured when I don't get a literary reference. But the idea of a "classic" is so subjective. I do find that there is some value to the classification; many of the books have stood the test of time. Some of the greatest books I've ever read have been classics, but also some of the worst. I decided when I get to choose to read them, I'll choose with the same criteria I choose any other book. 

Invisible Man by Ralph Ellison (one of my faves from quarantine)
We Have Always Lived in the Castle by Shirley Jackson
As I Lay Dying by William Faulkner
Siddhartha by Herman Hesse
Madame Bovary by Gustave Flaubert (want to read!)

A Very Special Series

One of the greatest reading treats of quarantine has been the Neapolitan Novels by Elena Ferrante. I mean, my god. These books are incredible. I re-read My Brilliant Friend and was fully absorbed into the environment and psyche of these characters. Ferrante has such a masterful way of infusing everyday life and relationships with grave consequence. I'll write more about the whole series when I finish the last book, but I also realized that this is the first series I've read since YA ones a few years ago. I really missed the long, intimate study of characters and plot. 

My Brilliant Friend
The Story of A New Name
Those Who Leave and Those Who Stay

There have been a few stragglers, some gems being Lincoln in the Bardo by George Saunders and Eat a Peach by David Chang, but these sort of patterns have really summed up my reading experience so far. Ironically, the most freeing thing has been not thinking about these "groups" and just reading what I want to, reading with less pressure and less urgency. If anything, this time has proved that I could literally just read for the rest of my life and be very happy. It's helped me ground myself in the place I love most. I'm very grateful for that, and I'll do what I can to make sure that magic stays. 




1 comment:

  1. I've know The Vanishing Half is super hyped but I honestly I have no idea what it's about. I think I definitely give into buzz books but sometimes they don't always work out.

    ReplyDelete