Where we go from here: Plans & New Beginnings


Hey everyone! Oh my gosh, I know it's been basically forever since I've written consistently on here, and to be honest, I did have a brief second of wondering if I should completely let this go and spend my time elsewhere. But I'm about to start a whole new chapter of reading & other things in my life, and I realized I'd be too sad to let this form of logging & thinking go. So I wanted to say: I'm back! With updates! I don't know what my schedule will look like in school, but I'm going to do all I can to keep this up. 
With that being said, what's the new plan? Well, I just graduated high school this past May and have spent the past eight months honestly doing... as close to nothing as possible. I needed some time to recharge and recuperate after an intense four years and am feeling pretty ready for the next four!

I'm heading into college in a week: I'll be attending Princeton University to hopefully study English & Creative Writing. Though I still have no real idea what this is going to look like, it means a few things for me. 

#1) I'm completely terrified and so excited at the moment.
#2) I'm going to have to learn to deal with real winters.
#3) My reading will change!!

To be completely honest, I haven't been doing that great with my reading this year. Early in the year, I had high aspirations of really powering through books because of the more free time I had with school calming down, but my brain was too fried to really focus on reading either :( But throughout the summer, I've felt it slowly coming back!! And I'm super excited for it. 

So I have been reading a lot more for pleasure! Some books I read this summer were Paris to the Moon, Pachinko, Just Kids (a reread), and now reading Native Speaker by Chang-rae Lee. 

But through the next four years, a lot of my reading is about to turn into required reading for classes. I'll try to keep reading for pleasure always, but I know with what I want to study and the workload increasing, my reading will turn largely to the classroom. 

This upcoming year in particular, I'm taking a class called the Humanities Sequence at Princeton. It's a course that basically explores the basics of Western thought from Homer to Woolf. It requires close to 300 pages of reading a week sometimes (or so I've heard?) so deep deep Classics are about to fill up my reading. I've never been the biggest fan of them, but honestly I can't wait to see what parts of them I fall in love with. So I'll hopefully keep this blog updated with the ideas & struggles that presents!!

Otherwise, I'm going to try and return to slowly reading the world and reading diverse and contemporary voices, as always, because that's where I feel the most at home. But just wanted to announce the new turn this blog will take and thank you for sticking with me!



3 comments:

  1. Congrats on your graduation! I am majoring in English and creative writing as well, going into my third year. Not sure how the program is structured at Princeton but I have really enjoyed myself in my program. Hopefully you do too!

    ReplyDelete