A Change

There are a few new changes that have come into my reading life and my blog recently, and I wanted to talk to you about them before making the transition. First, NEW DESIGN!! I've been wanting a new design for a very long time, but didn't get around to it until this weekend where I accidently completely lost my template and had to start from scratch. There were tears...but it all worked out and I am so glad with the end result! Let me know if you would like all the links/info of how I did it!

Most importantly, there are HUGE reading changes that have already been put into place, as can be seen by my blog header: Countries, Classics, Books.
Recently, I watched a TED talk by Ann Morgan and her decision to read a book from every country in the world (196 countries) in a year. Her talk seemed like she was a person who truly knew the power of literature and I realized that my selection of books could have a narrowing effect on my perspective of the world. Her list is linked here. 

So I talked about it with some of my friends and family, and decided to make the change. I am now aiming to read a book from every country in about 3 to 4 years, along with the 26 classics that I am already reading per year. Difficult and daunting, but in my opinion, worth it. 

I am extremely excited to start this journey, but there will be some consequences. I won't be able to read barely any YA, and this blog will not be a YA blog anymore. It's sad, because I love the genre and its exciting glamor, but I can definitely afford to leave it for a while. I understand that that might mean I lose some of  my current readers, but I know I'll meet new ones!

All the books that I have read will be listed under the page THE LIST, with their links to the reviews if I have them. I've already read a few that are absolutely life-changing. Please, don't hesitate to read them, from your library or online. If we read more widely, publishers have the incentive to publish widely, and all of our perspectives can grow. 

Thank you! 

5 comments:

  1. There's nothing wrong with changing your reading habits! Just try and sneak in some just-for-fun books as a change every now and then.

    How are you going to find books from really teeny-tiny countries in English? That might be a challenge in itself!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! The great thing is the books I'm reading are actually somewhat just-for-fun, maybe with the exception of classics.
      Definitely a challenge, but I hope to figure that out as I go!

      Delete
  2. Good luck with your challenge Kate! I think it's awesome to take on something new, it's often common for a teen to have a ya blog, but I think that something different is always good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Emily! It's so great to have such support :)

      Delete
  3. Thanks for finding my blog and I'm thrilled to see you read more widely and diversely!
    I naturally gravitate to the stories of the world, it's just so enriching and enlightening.
    You're definitely right about finding new readers and audiences, like me! I look forward to reading your reviews. :)

    ReplyDelete