All the Truth That's In Me Review

Title: All the Truth That's In Me
Author: Julie Berry 
Publisher: Viking Juvenile
Genre: Historical Fiction , Mystery

Blurb: (from goodreads) Four years ago, Judith and her best friend disappeared from their small town of Roswell Station. Two years ago, only Judith returned, permanently mutilated, reviled and ignored by those who were once her friends and family. Unable to speak, Judith lives like a ghost in her own home, silently pouring out her thoughts to the boy who’s owned her heart as long as she can remember—even if he doesn't know it—her childhood friend, Lucas. But when Roswell Station is attacked, long-buried secrets come to light, and Judith is forced to choose: continue to live in silence, or recover her voice, even if it means changing her world, and the lives around her, forever. This startlingly original novel will shock and disturb you; it will fill you with Judith’s passion and longing; and its mysteries will keep you feverishly turning the pages until the very last.  


Me: Such an amazing book, with an enthralling mystery and a great protagonist. 


The Ups: Oh this book was so great. So great. First of all, I'd like to point out that it is supposedly a "historical-fiction" and while that is absolutely true, it didn't feel hard to read or weirdly disconnected. The language and the tone made it extremely easy to see straight into Judith's mind, and to really get sucked into the story. I loved the setting and how I could picture everything, and I think it fit so well with the story.


The character development was phenomenal. Judith went through such immense changes throughout the book, and she was very easy to connect to. Her love for Lucas seemed pure and innocent and a bit afraid but never annoying, and her difficulty to speak up really touched my heart as well. The fact that she found a way to change something and become her own person was really beautiful. 

That being said, the other characters didn't fall behind, either. Darrel was my personal favorite because I felt that he truly loved his sister and could understand her but often had the oblivious, naive thoughts of a teenage boy. I absolutely adored Maria, who seemed like a wonderful person with a true heart. Lucas, Goody Pruett, Judith's mother, all of them contributed immensely and I loved them all. 

I absolutely adored the writing, The mystery was great, and although it didn't bring a huge shock, it felt like everything really came together at the end. I loved how it was written to Lucas, and even though that made me a bit doubtful at the beginning, it got very interesting and just kept getting better.

The Downs: I think that at certain parts of the book it was a tad bit slow, and I would have liked to see a bit more action and maybe have the ending come a bit faster in the book, but overall, the book came to me at a great time and told me a wonderful story. 

Overall: Such an original, meaningful story that truly stood out to me. 

Rating: 5 kisses! 


1 comment:

  1. I'm glad that this book is making the rounds. I love it!

    ReplyDelete