Talkin About...Harry Potter


Harry Potter
Everyone has some kind of knowledge/experience with Harry Potter. Whether that be your life depends on it, you threw it at a wall, or you want to marry Fred Weasley, you still know about it. 

Personally, Harry Potter is a necessity. It is a book god. Nothing I have ever found will ever live up to it. Sometimes I do wonder whether or not the actual writing is what makes it so phenomenal, or if it just came to me at the right time. I think I always knew that I'd loved books, but after Harry Potter, I kind of found out how it could become a life.

I refused to read Harry Potter until the summer of 4th grade, As the absolute idiot I was in elementary school, I didn't want to go with the flow so I just absolutely restrained myself from even touching a book in the series. One of the best decisions of my life, probably, was to finally groan and moan and start to read The Sorcerer's Stone. 

Well did I shut up after that. I finished the entire series in a span of about a week and a half, and I remember finishing the last one in the car on a road trip and after closing the cover thinking for about 30 minutes, "Holy cow what am I going to do with my life." And then I remembered that there were still the movies and I felt a bit better.

After watching all the movies, Harry Potter kind of became my life. In 5th grade my birthday party was Harry Potter themed, which was pretty awesome because I planned everything and we had a Quidditch water balloon fight, made Polyjuice Potion and Chocolate Frogs, and drank Butterbeer. Best birthday party to date.

I have now read each book about 15-20 times, and have watched all of the movies at least 3 times, watching The Sorcerer's Stone and Goblet of Fire at least 10. I am pretty obsessed. I'm sure many of us can relate to desperately waiting the summer we turned eleven for hopes of a Hogwarts letter.


But I have heard a lot of different things since I started talking to people about it. Lots of people still refuse to read the books because it's too "mainstream" and others say that they started the first book and gave up by page 5. As much as I can't understand these human beings, I would really like to know your opinion on Harry Potter and the relation it has to you. 

So...what are your thoughts? 






2 comments:

  1. I am not a Harry Potter fan, but I don't dislike it. I have listened to the first 3 books and enjoyed them very much and I do like the movies... but I was never invested in them like other. I think they are good though. I think its her writing and her character development that makes them good and yes they probably came to you at the right time. I understand your obsession. I must admit i am a huge Twilight fan and even though I have read quite a few awesome books that probably have better writing or more depth... I don't care. Twilight will always have a place in my heart. I just hate that its basically seen as a bad thing now.. to be a Twilight fan. At least you don't have to worry about that with Harry Potter. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel like once you fall for a book once, there's always a certain nostalgia when you read it again and I think that that is what makes a book so special sometimes. Funny, because I feel the way you do about Harry Potter with Twilight. I never loved it, but have never disliked it either. I think that there are many people who are secretly Twilight lovers that are just too embarrassed to admit it. :) Thank you for commenting!

      Delete